MPR has the ability to mold extremely high performance materials that are very well suited in many cases to 3a彩票登录 in traditional applications
MPR’s processing techniques are able to maintain physical properties in the plastic material by minimizing molecular chain breakage during drying and molding to achieve excellent physical properties.
Advantages of Metal Replacement Parts
- Significant weight savings by reducing specific gravity from 3 to 8 for metals down to the 1.5 range for high performance polymers
- Tensile strength to 46,000 psi
- Continuous use temperature to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Significant cost saving vis-a-vis traditional metal fabrication
MPR maintains a proprietary database of over 80,000 materials that it uses in material selection and design assistance with its customers to ensure the optimization of each application. However, material selection alone is not the key to achieving success in most high performance polymer applications. MPR utilizes a custom screw design and unique processing technique to maintain the average molecular weight of the polymer during molding. This approach is absolutely key to getting the maximum physical performance from your part design.
Processing Optimization Requirements
- The polymer molecular chain length of the plastic is one of the key variables that determines its properties
- The molding process, if not done properly, has the potential to break the chains that existed before molding thereby reducing properties
- The length of fiber additives such as glass, carbon or steel will also significantly affect physical properties
- Again, the molding process if not done properly has the potential to break these fibers thereby reducing properties
We find engineers are constantly struggling with the fact that their designs do not meet the performance specifications predicted in their finite element analysis and simulation models. Often engineers look in every direction searching for solutions—the material supplier, the simulation software, the assembly parameters to name a few—without properly focusing on the science of the material and the implications of the drying and molding process.
If your current polymer supplier does not understand these points or have the equipment and engineering expertise to handle these applications, you should be talking to MPR Plastics.
Let's Discuss Your Project
Please?fill out the form on our contact page or call us at 847.468.9950 and a MPR representative will be happy to assist you.